Monday, May 16, 2011

Homemade Granola Bars! Martha Stewart eat you heart out!

Remember back in January, when all those killer deals on Oatmeal were happening?  Well, I stocked up.  I think I got at least 5 tubs of oatmeal & probably paid at most $0.75 a box; most I got for free.  I stocked up with the good intention of making my children warm, stomach filling, quality breakfast before they start they're day.  Yes, I was able to get them to eat it for a while then the excitement wore off, so now with the mornings getting warmer, oatmeal is not part of our daily breakfast.  I needed to find a way to use the oatmeal.  I came across this recipe . . . .
GRANOLA BARS!
I made both blueberry & chocolate.  I think I'll pick up some of those chocolate Easter bunnies (now at 75% off) & chopped them up and use them in this recipe instead of using chocolate chips.  THRIFTY TIP!

Difficulty: Can't cook ~ No problem         Cost: $1.50 for 12
Time: 30 Minutes

Chewy granola bars

4 C rolled oats
1 C brown sugar
1/4 C honey (I used 1/2 C)
1 C melted marg/butter (I used 1/2 C)
1/2 t salt
1/2 t vanilla
Mix oats & sugar.  Add melted marg & other ingredients.  Press into ungreased pan, about 1/2 inc deep.  Bake @ 300 for 20 (I did 30 min) or until golden brown.  Cool for a few minutes & cut into bars.

BTW, I've already eaten 2 bars & they have been done for only 2 hours, so watch out they're addictive!

No comments:

Post a Comment