Monday, May 23, 2011

Knock you socks off sourdough bread

Holy Moly!  Have you checked out the prices for Sourdough bread lately?  Here in my little town it's a whopping $4.69! for 1 loaf.  I could drive to Trader Joe's (at least 30 miles one way) & get it somewhere in the range of $2.99.  But, gas is now going down to $3.81 a gallon YIPPEE!  So I, yet again, am trying to find a cheaper version that I'll like.  I THINK I FOUND IT.

Rustic Sourdough Bread

Difficulty: Med/Med High                                             Costs:$2.50 for 2 loaves
Time: 2 1/2 hours ( 2 Hours to let the dough rest)


Ingredients:
1 C "fed" sourdough starter
1 1/2 C Luke warm water
2 1/2 tsp salt
1 T Sugar (I used 2, it was really sour)
2 tsp Instant yeast
5 C Flour

Combine all ingredients until a smooth soft dough.  I add a few cups of flour at a time.

Place in a greased bowl, cover, & let rise until doubled 90 minutes.





Divide dough in half & shape into 2 oval loaves.  This is the 2nd time I've made this & I used 2 bread pans so the dough is taller.  Place in a lightly greased pan.  Cover & let rise till puffy 60 minutes.


Slash the tops & bake in preheated over @ 425 degrees for 30 minutes, keep an eye out about 25 minutes, so the tops don't brown too much.  Cool on rack.


Enjoy!  Remember to put the remainder of the bread in the refrigerator, it doesn't have preservatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment