Friday, May 13, 2011

Homemade Bagels! OH MY!

This is my first bagel recipe I've ever tried.  I always thought bagels came from the store.  I think I will never buy store made bagels again .  These are so delicious & I know what my kids are eating!


Difficulty: Easy                                    Cost: About $1.50 for 8 large bagels
Time: 1 hour 30 min (Really only 30 minutes of labor)

Ingredients:
1 tsp. yeast
1 1/4 cups warm milk (I use powdered milk to save $)
1/4 cup softened butter
2 Tbl. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 egg yolk.
appox 3 3/4 cups flour (I use 3 1/2)



Dissolve 1 tsp in 1 1/4 cups WARM milk.  Add 1/4 cup softened butter, 2 Tbl sugar, 1 tsp salt and 1 egg yolk.  Mix well.

Stir in enough flour to make a soft yet firm dough (approx. 3 3/4 cups).  Knead 10 min.  For those, who like me are learning, use the dough attachment on your mixer & add flour slowly (like a cup at a time & mix)

Add desired flavors.  If you prefer any cheese on top, set some aside & place some on top after the water bath.

Place in a greased bowl, (I just use the same bowl I mixed in).  Cover and let rise for 1 hour.  
Punch dough down and shape into a large ball.  I cut my dough into 8 sections.  This recipe says it makes 12 if you'd like smaller bagels.
Take each section and form a ball, poke a hole in the center and stretch.  Make sure your whole is LARGE to start with!


Let the bagels sit for 10 minutes. 


Before you boil them, flatten them.

Drop in boiling water and remove when they float to the top (or about 15 seconds).


Place on a greased cookie sheet  and bake at 400' for 13-18 minutes.  Remove when they are brown on the bottom and slightly golden on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment