Friday, May 13, 2011

WHAT?!? You make your own laundry soap? Why yes, I do!

I got this recipe from my wonderful MoPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group.  When I heard about it, I thought they were CRAZY!  Why would anyone make laundry soap when you can go to the store & buy it?  Fast forward a few years, I've become one of those crazy ladies.  This is so cheap & easy.  Yes, you do see my laundry soap in a Cool Whip container, remember people the name of the blog is The Thrifty Housewife!  Not pretty, but who cares!  The liquid version I can fill up an entire laundry bucket from Costco, for next to nothing!


 








Difficulty: Easy peasy                                    Cost: about $1.50
Time: Less than 10 minutes

Ingredients for Dry Laundry Soap:
1 Bar Fels Natha Soap or Ivory
3/4 C WASHING Soda (not Baking soda)
3/4 C Borax
5-10 drops of essential oil for fragrance (if desired, I don't but you might)

Cut soap bar into 3 pieces & grate up in blender or food processor.  Add washing soda & blend again.  Add Borax & blend again.  Use 1 T for normal laundry or more for you dirtier laundry.  Makes 40T.


Ingredients for Liquid Laundry Soap:
4 C Hot water
1 Bar Fels Natha Soap or Ivory
1 C WASHING Soda (not Baking soda)
1/2 C Borax
10-15 drops of essential oil for fragrance per 2 gallons (if desired, I don't but you might)

Grate bar of soap & add to saucepan with water.  Stir continually over med-low heat until melted.

Fill 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full with hot tap water.  Add melted soap, washing soda, & Borax.  Stir well until dissolved.  Fill to top with hot tap water.  Let cool overnight.  Makes 10 gallons.

Fill a used, clean laundry dispenser with 1/2 soap & 1/2 water.  Shake before each use.  Use 5/8 C, I just reuse the scooper from the Costco container.

No comments:

Post a Comment