Monday, May 7, 2012

This time of year my thoughts are turning to canning

From now until well into October my thoughts are on canning.  What things I will be canning?  Where did I find the best deals last year?  Do I need to can more than last year?  And the ever looming WHAT IS THE YIELD OF CANNED FOOD WILL I GET FROM FRESH FOOD?

This is my fourth year canning.  Each year I seemed to can more & more, due my my growing children & how confident of a canner I have become.  I have to admit, I love it when my children say that they like my canned food more than anyone elses (i.e. can food from the store or school).  I know it's prideful.  But it does this mom's heart good.  I was never raised canning so it took a while for me to come around.  I know it is extremely hard work, but I am so glad when I hear those little voices praising my food.

While perusing through the homesteading books, I came across this little gem of knowledge:



Oooh boy!  I wish I found this a couple of years ago.  Their figures seems to be a couple of quarts off from I remember I did, but it is a good "ballpark" number.

So if it seems like my posts are few & far between during the summer months, you know what I am doing!  I'll be keeping you updated on canning recipes & tips. 

No comments:

Post a Comment