Monday, January 9, 2012

Irish eye's are smilin'

My Irish ancestors would be so proud of me right now.  I stepped out of my box & made homemade hash browns.  Why?  I'll answer that with another question, "When did Ore-Ida hash browns costs almost as much as a gallon of gas?"  Seriously, it's frozen potatoes with some preservatives added for your enjoyment.  That's it, potatoes.  I could pick up a 10lbs bag of potatoes for a couple of $$ less than a 16oz bag.  10lbs!  That's a lot of potatoes.  There something to be said for the versatility of those little guys.

Everything I did was "old school".  My food processor shredding attachment broke a while ago, so I grated the potato by hand.  It took me about 5 minutes to get everything ready.  And it tasted so much better than the preservative-filled spuds found in your grocers freezer.  BTW I make homemade fries too, but that's for another day.

Homemade Hash Browns

2 medium potatoes
2 tbs oil
Pam Spray
Salt, pepper & garlic powder
Onions or peppers

Spray Pam in pan & add oil.  Heat up pan.  I chopped some onions & added to the pan to give the hash browns even more flavor.  Peel & grate potatoes.  Press potatoes between paper towel to remove some of the water.  Cook to desired crispiness.


2 comments:

  1. If you put the shredded potatoes directly into a bowl of cold water, it will take out some of the starchiness that makes them a bit gooey AND it will keep them nice and white instead of turning pink! PLUS, of course, like you said, squeeze the extra liquid out and they get crispy without too much oil! :) LOVE the old fashioned way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Good job! We like our breakfast potatoes diced and fried up in EVOO. 6 minutes on each side, in a pan with the lid on. Johnny's seasoning salt. Yum! ~ Kelsey

    ReplyDelete