Thursday, March 1, 2012

When life gives you lemons make lemonade!

I've been gone for a while.  I haven't posted in almost a month.  I went to sunny (& HOT)California to help my mother in law with my husband's grandmother estate who passed away. 

Seven fun filled days in a dust filled, purple accented, clown infested trailer in a senior park with a preschooler is not the top of my vacation wish list, but I went down to help, that's what family does; helps each other out.  I was able to see family & friends & even tour my old house that my father built.  In the end I was glad I went & reminisce about growing up in the country.

We didn't come back with a lot, but I was able to get fresh lemons off of her tree.  There is something about the smell of freshly picked lemons that make my heart flutter.  I got at least a dozen.  A DOZEN!  My house smells so wonderful right now I wish I had a scratch 'n sniff button so you could enjoy it too.


I have juiced about 9 which I froze in ice cube trays to be used later.  My thrifty husband asked if we could use the lemon rind in food, so I graded the rind this morning & they are drying in my dehydrator as we speak.  Third, to be even more thrifty, I put all the left overs in an old jar & added vinegar to make lemon scented disinfected kitchen cleaner.  Nothing goes to waste here!

As an added treat I will try to make some lemon bars, with the remaining lemons, for my husband who took care of everything back here while I was away.

While away I learned a lot about death, trust & wills, taxes & the government, I will be blogging about my wonderful adventures soon.  I hope that maybe it will help someone save not only time but money too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment