Thursday, March 15, 2012

Blackberries: Oregon's state weed?

Blackberries are abundant here in Oregon.  At this point they are so annoying that sometimes I classify them as a weed.  But I have to admit that I love it on summer days I can send the kids out to eat as much as they want right off the vine.  I think last summer I froze about 6-8 gallon size Ziploc bags for future enjoyment.

Future enjoyment?  Oh yea, my husband has a sweet tooth.  A close second is a berry tooth, any kind of berries it doesn't matter.  So how do I show my appreciation to him for all the hard work he does?  BLACKBERRY PIE.

Here is my recipe for blackberry pie:

Filling:
4 C blackberries
3/4 to 1 C sugar
1/4 C flour
Add all ingredients into bowl, mix, & set aside

Double crust:
2 C flour
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 C shortening
6-7 T cold water

Mix together flour & salt.  Cut in shortening until size of small peas.  Sprinkle 1 T of water at a time over mixture.  Mix until dough is moistened.  Cut dough in half.  Roll out over floured surface until size of pie dish.   Put dough into dish & press edges to remove air bubbles.  Add filling into pie dish.  Repeat with second half of dough.  Place on top of filling.  Trim edges of dough, press edges with fork to seal edges, & make slits in top dough for air removal.

Cover edges with foil & place in 375 degree oven for 25 minutes.  Remove foil 7 bake for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until top is golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment