Wednesday, August 8, 2012

How I nearly started a house fire by trying to be healthly.


I thought I'd try something new the other day making Kale chips.  I was over at our community garden & another gardener said I had to try this.  According to her "They are awesome.  I love making them."  OK.   Challenge accepted.  I should have rethought that decision. 

My first attempt was baking them in the toaster oven 400 degrees at 7 minutes.  No prob.  I went to check on it.  I opened the door and WHOOSH fire exploded.  I screamed & shut the door.  I nearly ripped the socket out trying to get that fire filled appliance out of the house. My children just sat there with their mouths open & watched.  Then talked for hours "How mom saved the house."   Yes kids, I'm Super Mom!

My second attempt was last night.  Nervously I decided to use the oven because it wasn't that hot.  First I cut the rib out of the kale.  Then I sliced pieces & put them on a baking sheet.  I sprayed them with Pam & add desired seasoning.  I'm kinda partial to course salt.


Before


After

Bake in 350 degree oven for about 7 minutes.  Let rest & eat.  Seriously we, well actually it was mostly me, went through a dozen leaves just today.  They have a taste of a pumpkin seed.  Next year I'm going to have to grow some.  They're quite tasty.

1 comment:

  1. You can buy avocado oil ($9.60 for a BIG bottle at Costco) to roast kale chips, and pretty much any vegetable (carrot, potato, sweet potato, parsnip, beet, Brussels sprouts) at 400 degrees or higher. It will not set your oven on fire and it is healthy for you.

    It's also helpful to sprinkle a little over Mahi or salmon to roast in the oven. You can also buy avocado oil spray at the Wal-Mart if you don't want to use too much or are trying to save on calories.

    Can also use avocado oil in baked goods, but canola will still be cheaper, so I run the cost-benefit analysis in my head every time. Good luck trying kale chips again!

    ReplyDelete