Tuesday, August 16, 2011

I've got myself in a pickle.

Quick children of the 80's!  This line comes from what movie?  "He would get me out of biggest pickle I'd ever been in."  This one will help "You're killing me Smalls!"  The Sandlot, I just love that movie!

Well I didn't get myself into a pickle, for today at least, but I did can 18 quarts of them.


Aren't they gorgeous?

As you can see from the picture that's all you need (plus water).  I picked up the cucumbers from the farmer's market (who were willing to barter later in the day!)  I got 16 HUGE cucumbers for $8.  I got this many because my garden only have produced 2 pickling cucumbers because the weather here in Oregon is crazy!  And it is cheaper then to go to the store & get a jar of them yourself, but if there is a good coupon deal I'll pick some up.

Time: abt 2 hours from start to finish
Difficulty: Easy if you know how to properly "can" your food.

Ingredients:
9-11 lbs of pickling cucs (I used regular ones)
3 1/3C white vinegar
7 1/3C water
1 pouch of dill pickle mix

Prepare is instructed on back of mix package.  Process in hot water bath canner for 15 minutes for quarts.

No comments:

Post a Comment