Tuesday, December 13, 2011

I'm sick, what's for dinner?

So it seems that I'm getting sick.  It's times like this that I'm thankful for my stockpile, coupons & my canned foods.  This is what's on the menu tonight:
  • Bake potatoes (sorry boys I'm too tired to mash them)
  • Pear sauce
  • Broccoli
  • Cube steak (it was round steak, but the meat dept. ran it under the tenderizer a couple of times & turn it into cube steak)


This wonderful meal cost approx. $2.54.  How? Meat deals @ Safeway 30% off, potato deal @ Fred Meyers, & free pears & broccoli.  How free pears & broccoli?  Gleaning my friends, gleaning. 

Gleaning is basically going to a farm whose produce will go bad & picking it for free.  I had never heard of such a thing until we came to Oregon.  Farmers give away their crops due to a number of different reasons; their main reason is that the processing plant is full & won't accept any more deliveries.  Why have it rot in the fields when it could be on someones dinner plate? So I always ask if I can get more so I can donate to the food bank.  Their answer is always "Yes, take as much as you can." 

Find out if your area has a gleaning association, this is a good way to get good fruits & vegetables for free.

I think there were over 30 acres of broccoli.  We had 4-5 garbage bags full to give away!

No comments:

Post a Comment